Friday 27 January 2017

Controlling Trajectory Pt 1

I practise at the range and try to randomise my practise but before I had a Skytrak I had no way of measuring what was happening (beyond hitting shots in the right direction) so I would end up hitting normal shots . I would then play golf and have numerous shots into the wind where I needed to lower the trajectory. I would follow the normal process of using more club, moving the ball back, taking more club and trying to swing smoothly. However, I would inevitably hit the ball harder with greater spin loft which would result in the ball trying to reach orbit and coming up well short. This was therefore something I wanted to start testing once I got my Skytrak.

Hypothesis
  • Trajectory will be lower.
  • Combined with higher spin rate will lead to reduced carry distance.
Method
I initially set about testing this by hitting 8 irons, aiming to get 10 solid shots. This highlighted problem 1; it was fairly easy to get 10 solid normal shots but because I dont practise punch shots enough my strike was all over the place. I ended up hitting 17 shots.

Results and Analysis

Looking at the above it is clear the trajectory was lower. Launch angle was almost 4deg less and peak height was 6 yards lower which is significant. As expected descent angle was also lower, but the difference was much smaller.




The detailed trajectory chart is interesting:
It doesnt show up well because Skytrak picked grey for the normal shots, but it is much clearer in this chart how the trajectory was significantly lower. It is also clear how much greater my dispersion was (especially front-back).

Looking back to the hypothesis the trajectory was indeed lower, significantly so. However, the spin rate was not higher and the carry distance was shorter due to strike inconsistencies.

Next Steps
  1.  Repeat this testing with more clubs and improve strike consistency to see if the data remains consistent. 
  2. Attempt to hit to set distances with less lofted clubs (e.g. a 5iron 150 yards carry). What does its trajectory profile look like and is the 'use more club' mantra technically correct but easy to underestimate? Effectively build a distance chart for low trajectory (and preferably low spin shots).
  3. Test with differing wind settings on Skytrak to start being able to estimate shots into/with the wind more accurately.

2 comments:

  1. James, loving your analysis. I own 6 SkyTraks and have been doing a lot of data analysis as well. Anyway great blog I've subscribed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you do have interesting data please share it, I would love to see it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.